Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Journey of an Afro-preneur: Branding

Today I've spent the better part of the evening trying to go through some of the logo concepts Bluefi5h came up with. It really is exciting stuff, the back-and-forth communciation we have via IM (Instant Messenger, thank you meebo.com :-) ) discussing colours,fonts, really makes you realise that the idea is really coming to life. IM really comes in handy during times like this koz it allows me to relay my ideas back to bluefi5h who just saves the chat logs and uses them as quick notes.

I have to admit I do have a bias towards blue as a logo colour and Imade this bias known :-). Ny the way I suck at design so my criticism is very constructive :-)

The logo is such an important part of a web app that I can't overstate it enough. Look at the most famous logos in the world such as ebay,yahoo,google and you'll get what am talking about. Currently there is a trend in current Web 2.0 companies with regards to their logos, check out this post, the most striking feature is the reflective images and the striking fonts.

On the web design front when you hear Web 2.0 the first thing that comes to your mind is AJAX,Rich User Interfaces,Tabs,Gradients,Large fonts :-) that seems to be the most common thing in all of them.I've taken the time to list a few of my most favorite Web 2.0 sites, the list ins't exhaustive:

  1. i4giveu.com :-) powered by wordpress
  2. meebo.com-best web based IM in the world.
  3. Boompa.com-new kid on the block
  4. Digg.com

Back to the drawing board on the logo concepts but based on the direction Bluefi5h was taking am sure he'll come up with something really awesome.<

No comments: