Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Journey of an Afro-preneur: Obstacles Continued

For the last couple of days I've been trying to purchase the two domains associated with the social app we want to launch, but every attempt seemd to be hitting a brick wall. Initially the domain had been purchased through a godaddy.com account but after Thursday's fiasco my account become inaccessible and the domains were in effect suspended. This hard never happened to me before so I wasn't sure how to proceed and I figured the best way to handle it was to give the registrar a few days to reactivate the account.

As of today, the domain and account were stil inaccesible so I decided to call godaddy.com support and find out what was going on. First call went something like this "Please wait for the support department to activate your account", I'd already sent an email to them in the morning to find out what was going on, so decided to follow up with a second call later on in the day which turned out to be a smart move I finally got a support rep who explained to me that my account had been suspended due to fraudulent activity and the domains in essence locked to prevent any activity on them.

I'd read Bob Parsons (Bob Parsons happens to be the founder of godaddy.com) post on his blog about "domain kiting" and I highly suspected that godaddy.com had flagged my account on suspicion of the activity. By the way you should read up on the whole domain kiting scheme, it's amazing the lengths people will go to make money. Anyway I can't be sure if that was the reason they suspended my account but it seemed to be the most logical explanation, to make a long story short godaddy.com has instructed me to provide them with some relevant information so us to unlock the account and unlock the domains we had attempted to purchase.

Gisty Jeng has again offered his services on the credit card front, I'm skeptical having already learnt a hard lesson but I just might entrust him with the task again, we'll see how it goes.

No comments: