Saturday, August 19, 2006

Journey of an Afro-preneur: Writing the Business Plan

I'd mentioned in an earlier post that I would start writing the business plan for the new idea I had, I figured this weekend would be a good time to start. I wanted to write the plan from home but since my Office 2007 Alpha version had come to an abrupt halt (I guess the demo period is over) my only alternative was to do it from the office until when I could get my hands on a earlier version of Ms-Office (may be I should move to Open Office and dent the sales of Microsoft hahaha!! ) .

Since I was already scheduled to be in the office for an 8am-1pm shift I figured this would be a good opportunity to get things moving. As I said earlier I was meant to be in the office by 8am but lately I've been suffering from some major sleep deprivation, I really don't know why but I figure it's nothing major, so I didn't quite get to sleep on Friday until when it was about 3am which means that when I was supposed to be waking up the sweet sleep was hitting me like a tonne of bricks and you can be sure I missed the wakeup call, but eventually I got to the office at about 10.30am two and a half hours late wuuuu!! :-) and looking like I was suffering a major hangover,luckily my boss doesn't work on weekends.

After chatting with Gisty Jeng from about anything and everything (stock market, retrenchment,paranoia), checking mail, handling an application downtime on the work floor I finally settled down to write the business plan at around 1.30pm and that is where things started going crazy, it's like I suffered a major attack of "writers block" hard to believe but the whole process of putting to words your vision and goals for a business is quite a demanding task. First of all you have this template you have to follow and there is so much to write about like Goals, Mission,Philosophy, Industry and that's just the tip of the iceberg koz there is the financial statements and projections you have to come up with but I figure you just have to do it one step at a time then you'll get it done. So I started on the Objectives of the company (by the way I haven't registered my company which is not a good thing but I'll get to it in due time) this was the easiest part, then I moved to the Mission then down to the Philosophy just at that point my Alias Season 5 torrent indicated that Episode 1 was fully downloaded and I decided to stop, all work and no play makes me a dull boy :-)

No comments: