Thursday, November 09, 2006

Journey of an Afro-preneur: Baby Steps


This week has been quite exciting, I met up with Bluefi5h (those Kahawa hookups :-) God Blesss Capuccino) and had a talk with him about Kwangoo.com it really is amazing how much we have in common when it comes to creating an online brand but Bluefi5h took it to the next level when he explained to me what he would like this brand to be, the ultimate goal is to buold the number one online brand in the region. We know where we want to be in the next 5 years and we taking the "Baby steps" to achieve that vision one day at a time.

One of the most fruitful things to come out of our conversation was the development of a release schedule, we both pretty busy people so it's hard to come up with tight schedules and stick to them but I was glad that we both so the need to come up with a timetable. Bluefi5h is primarily going to focus on developing the brand and growing it, he has many contacts in the design field and they will come in handy when we need to really grow the brand. A clothing line was mentioned and it rallied a few ideas from the two of us. Such brainstorms make the whole idea exciting and worth the effort even with the challenges we face.

Since the "launch" of the splash page, a few of my friends have signed up and even though the numbers havent been record breaking the feedback and queries I've received have gone a long way in encouraging me to pursue this vision. In the last few months I've been working on a code snippet that could really enhance the registration process of new users as well as spread the word just when I thought it was hopeless the code has come together and is working woohoo!!am so excited and bearing in mind that Bluefi5h will come up with an exciting interface am rearing to go.

One of our core objectives is to set a trend that others will be daring enough to follow, they say "Imititation is the highest form of flattery" and I wouldn't be surprised if others followed :-) It's only fair that I mention that there have been other social networking sites developed and they definitely did blaze the way but its also important to note that what we are trying to do is indigenous and will encompass the latest trends on Web 2.0 (Javascript wil really work its magic..damn browser compatibility grrrr!!...)...

Everyday I learn something new, I follow the trends in social networking and pick as much as I can from every site that pops up or dies, all these lessons are applied in kwangoo.com

No comments: