Monday, February 05, 2007

Journey of an Afroprenuer: Dreams, Determination and Fear


So today was my 1st day since I resigned on Friday 2nd February 2007, and the realisation that I had no guaranteed source of income began to sink in. I don't know how to describe it but it's a combination of excitement and fear as I realised that for the 1st time in a long time I wouldn't be going to an office and putting in the hours and then demanding a salary at the end of the month. The last time I was unemployed was back in early 2002 when my internship had ended and I was left asking myself "Where do I go next?" but that didn't last for long because after a week I was able to land a job at a small design firm where we worked like the survival of mankind depended on us.

A lot of people will tell you that always have a plan before quitting your day job to pursue your dreams, but that isn't always the case because if you look around you realise that its taking you more effort to come up with that plan then it is to pursue your dreams. In the last few days since I resigned many people have asked me "Did you have something better?" and I always answer YES!!becuase nothing can be compared to waking up every morning in pursuit of a dream, nothing can replace passion, even when faced with the realisation that you might not be able to feed yourself in the next few weeks you push on.

I believe am up to the challenge, and I will succeed not because am smarter then everybody else but because I see where I am and where I want to be. I am surrounded by people who question my decision but am also guided by people who understand my decision and are willing to back me up. I am determined to see this to the very end.

2 comments:

Mehul said...

hang in there....Dreams usually manifest into our reality...and that would happen if the passion and determination is there...good luck!

One-Eyed-Bandit said...

You got my backing! You only get to discover new lands by losing sight of the shore.