Friday, June 08, 2007

Peupe: Pushing it out

Yesterday marked a major milestone for our company, we finally pushed out our first "public" release of peupe accessible via alkags.peupe.net But it was by far not a small feat, I had to code and debug several issues that arose and I'm still on them. One of the major challenges has been speed of the application, a few people have complained that the app is to slow and so I've been going through the code with a tooth comb trying to see where the bottlenecks are, implementing caching on several areas of the blog (using Ruby on Rails this isn't difficult). I finally managed to finish most of what I'd set out to do at around 6am and headed to bed.

In the evening I got online and started getting feedback from people, i actually asked a friend of mine to see if they could post a comment on the blog and to my disappointment an error popped up which I addressed immediately woohoo!! :-)

As of friday evening I had pushed out the following features and bug fixes:

  1. Error on posting a comment which had to do with lack of appropriate IDs.
  2. Search engine friendly URL's: the posts now have permalinks that give them very nice and neat URLs (thanks to permalink_fu a great RoR plugin). I now have
  3. Delicious and Technorati submission: I had an issue with this as it wasn't giving urls that could be tracked back to the blog.
  4. Tags: The tags associated with posts can now be viewed.
There are few more other things I'm working on, my focus now being on errors and optimisation but its a good feeling when you can see the value of your work coming to the surface.

2 comments:

fishingnett said...

I have played around with Ruby on Linux and windows platform and also running it off a USB drive as a hobby
Keep getting error using rails IDE

Its great what you have been able to do with it

Keep up the good work

I think the next big thing in kenya will be customizing these apps for the mobile environment

That may mean only java or windows development framework

Munashe said...

The link to peupe is not working, kinda disappointed i wanted to check it out.

My name is Munashe Gumbonzvanda i aldo trying stunts of african enterprenurism, i am gonna subscribe to your feed.

keep up the good work